Friday, January 13, 2006

Does Social Software really hold a lot of promise?

In these times of:

[an apparent] disintegration of vital aspects of our human existence on this earth, coupled with a seemingly relentless monoculture that threatens to take its place.
...

The fact of monoculture means that we continue to lose the ability to adapt to the perceived threats to our way of life. We thus are moved to protect our comfortable status quo by erecting strong walls.
...

I am inclined to agree with the following:

we do have much to fear: I fear the extinction of creativity and innovation. I fear the eradication of indigenous knowledge and ancient wisdom. I fear a dictatorship of cultural banality and fundamentalist Christian values, and the concomitant marginalization of "the other." Mostly, I fear the end of thought and insight and awareness.


Read more.

No comments: